11/05/2007

Skills

I currently live in a country where I feel my abilities are measured by who I know and what I studied. I fail miserably under both standards. I seem to be both overqualified and underqualified for the jobs I apply for, and since I don't know people who know people, I tend to be completely overlooked by HR departments. In short... I still don't have a job.

People here in Colombia love degrees and diplomas. I have one, but it's in Theatre, and after I graduated, I had to actually maintain myself economically, so I spread out. I've taught English, I've done customer service training courses, I've managed a bed and breakfast in Monteverde Costa Rica, I've worked at call centers, I've been a travel agent, I've worked in the web department of a travel agency as a copywriter, I've done outsourced HR work for Nestle USA. Now I'm studying dental tech and working in citizen media outreach.

My diverse and global background seemed to please previous employers to no end. Here in Colombia, it seems to freak them out. I feel torn between the need to get a full time job that pays my bills and my desire to continue studying, volunteering and citizen media work.

I'm still sending out resumes, wish me luck.

2 comments: